The Participant Journal. All Attendees Are Welcome To Post!

Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Youth & Young Adults

Well, it's only day #1 and I'm already blown away at the turn out of youth and young adults at the Summit!

Costs for travel, hotel, food, drinks, entertainment, drinks, conference fees, and yes...more drinks, can really add up! Oh, and that damn club membership Utah clubs have! Ugh!! Anyway, I'm pleasantly surprised that the younger generation found a way to attend the Summit this year and make it happen. **APPLAUSE** I know how tough it can be making it all come together.

I'm thrilled to see the generation gap being bridged as well. In the Leadership Institute, I was very moved when Scott asked for an Elder Voice and a Younger Voice to express their thoughts. That was AWESOME to see and hear two gay men from completely different generations come together. I hope this continues throughout the Summit!

I'm also very excited for the chance to network and meet other youth and young adult community leaders, volunteers and activists. It's fun rubbing elbows and making friends with tomorrow's leaders. And on that note...

College-age guys are getting together for our own special social event! Guys from Utah college and university groups will also be joining us for dinner at Cafe Pierpont on Saturday night. We'll meet in the hotel lobby at 6:45. If you're in this age group, come join us!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was considered the "youth" speaker during the pre-summit leadership workshop you are speaking of... and while it was difficult for me to speak up, I truly meant every word I said. There is such an unfortunate generational gap that exists, whether due to ageism... or the loss of so many lives before us, that I often find it difficult for leadership to be passed down. This conference, which I was only able to attend on partial scholarship and the generosity of a friend to share a hotel room, was truly an inspirational and motivating opportunity for myself. I am never thankless when I think about the life I am living as an openly gay man... one that only exists because of those who have fought so hard before me. I am actually in this line of work because of those elder role models who helped me come out and be who I am... making me want to "give back" as much as I could.
I am so glad there was such a diversity of ages and great dialogue throughout the week. I met so many fantastic men and I hope to continue these partnerships, collaborations, and conversations far into the future.

Boston Boy Steve
SBelec@fenwayhealth.org

10:20 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home